hayder
Field Marshal - Muheeb
Field Marshal - Muheeb
مشاركات: 3116
اشترك في: الأربعاء أكتوبر 06, 2010 10:21 pm
مكان: Europe

captured Iranian/Kuwaiti استخدام الاسلحة الايرانية والكويتية

مشاركة بواسطة hayder » الثلاثاء أكتوبر 12, 2010 12:05 am

use of captured iranian and kuwaiti equipment in the Iraqi army.

hayder
Field Marshal - Muheeb
Field Marshal - Muheeb

Re: captured Iranian/Kuwaiti استخدام الاسلحة الايرانية والكو

مشاركة بواسطة hayder » الخميس أكتوبر 29, 2015 2:41 pm

this M113 mortar carrier... was it a captured Iranian unit or an original Iraqi purchase?

صورة

صورة العضو الشخصية
TangoIII
Lieutenant Colonel - Muqqadam
Lieutenant Colonel - Muqqadam
مشاركات: 14927
اشترك في: الثلاثاء أكتوبر 12, 2010 6:11 pm
مكان: some where out home
اتصال:

Re: captured Iranian/Kuwaiti استخدام الاسلحة الايرانية والكو

مشاركة بواسطة TangoIII » الاثنين نوفمبر 16, 2015 2:00 am

دبابة نوع جفتن وقعت بأيد القوات العراقية أثناء الحرب الإيرانية-العراقية

صورة

صورة العضو الشخصية
Omar
Private - Jundi
Private - Jundi
مشاركات: 25
اشترك في: الاثنين يوليو 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: captured Iranian/Kuwaiti استخدام الاسلحة الايرانية والكويتية

مشاركة بواسطة Omar » الثلاثاء سبتمبر 11, 2018 4:34 am

Hello,

صورة
صورة
صورة
I've seen these photos online many, many times before. It is a graveyard of sorts which holds captured Iranian tanks. Many of the tanks are M-47s (as seen in the first photo), M-48s and M-60s (as seen in the second photo) and Chieftains (as seen in the third photo).

To my knowledge, M-47s were put in reserve alongside T-34/85 tanks. The Chieftain saw the heaviest use of all the tanks captured by Iraq. I believe Iraq had around 125 Chieftains of the Mk. 5, and some of the Mk. 3, variety. I have never been able to find ANY information concerning what tank units they were assigned to, when they were used and what combat and battles they saw as well as their performance. As for the M-48s and M-60s, I don't know if Iraq even really used them when they captured them. If anyone has information on this I would appreciate if you could share it.

From what I've found out also through the Stockholm Arms Trade Registry, Iraq had sold or donated around 90 Chieftians to Jordan by 1988. I don't know what happened to the remaining Chieftains, since Iraq had around 100-125. Maybe some were destroyed in combat, but even then at least some should have remained in service if that was the case. Information on the Chieftain in Iraqi service is very scarce (photographs too)! Iraq also donated several M-113 APCs, M-60 and M-48 tanks, and Scorpion light tanks. From this we can definitely deduce that Iraq had captured these tanks for sure. Once again though, information and photographs of their capture and usage (or storage) are rare.

hayder
Field Marshal - Muheeb
Field Marshal - Muheeb

مشاركة بواسطة hayder » الأربعاء سبتمبر 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Iraq captured over 300 Chieftains. They gave about 100 to Jordan. They also gave some of the M47 / M60 to Jordan. Others were never used.

Chieftains were rarely used. Note that they were not considered as good as T-62s.

I've even seen Iranian M4 Shermans... in Nassiriya.

صورة العضو الشخصية
Omar
Private - Jundi
Private - Jundi
مشاركات: 25
اشترك في: الاثنين يوليو 30, 2018 1:42 pm

مشاركة بواسطة Omar » الخميس سبتمبر 13, 2018 3:07 am

Interesting. This is new to me that Iraq considered it worse than the T-62, but it makes sense. The majority of Iran's Chieftains got destroyed by 115 mm shells fired by T-62s. 125 mm shells from the 2A46 on T-72s and 115 mm shells from U-5T on the T-62 which sliced through the Chieftain's frontal turret armor (the thickest armor on the Chieftain) like butter. This is probably why Iran's tank casualties during the war were absurdly high, since Chieftains composed around 700 of Iran's tanks.

M-60s I have not read as much on during the war, but I know that IDF M-60s in the October War were knocked out in scores by the 100 mm D-10 and 115 mm U-5T guns on the T-55 and T-62, respectively. I imagine that Iraqi tankers didn't have a hard time against any M-60, let alone M-48, M-47 or Centurion, that Iran could field. The Chieftain was really the toughest tank Iran could field, and even then it couldn't counter the best tanks of the regular army and the tanks of the Republican Guard.

As for the Shermans, I have seen photos from the 1990 and 2003 invasion of Iranian Shermans captured by Iraq as Western war trophies. I could not confirm their locations, however. I know for certain that Iran did deploy the Shermans they had in reserve since they were getting desperate and clamoring for any armor they could get their hands on. Meanwhile, however, I don't think Iraq ever fielded the T-34s it had in reserve since their armored force was superior in both numbers and quality and their modern MBTs were plentiful.

hayder
Field Marshal - Muheeb
Field Marshal - Muheeb

مشاركة بواسطة hayder » السبت مارس 30, 2019 8:57 pm

captured kuwaiti M-901 ITOWs

صورة

أضف رد جديد

العودة إلى “Army الجيش العراقي\القوات البرية”